New entry at our Aquaponics training center
Finally other 60 fish arrived as new entry in My Rivendell’s family. One week ago we ordered 25 Carassius auratus sarasa, 24 Carassius auratus mixed varieties, 10 Arcipenser ruthenus and 10 Neocaridina denticulata super red sakura.
(We stocked these shrimps with a pair of aquatic plants inside an aquarium.)
Unfortunately not all of them survived the journey. The only black moor got here death. Same as one of the sturgeons. Then after 40 minutes of acclimation and 15 minutes after the introduction of the sturgeons in the aquaponic pool, they all suddenly died. While the Sarasa Comet goldfish seemed to have no problem.
This is the second time we attend the high mortality rate of the sturgeons. Since they are severely sensitive to the variations of temperature. And as a matter of fact it’s been a long shot on our part to order them in summer.
To such an extent that these latter now are less shy to show themselves. Whereas they have ever hidden under the floating rafts and the inner growbed.
In the meantime the veggies are growing up right our eyes. The squash blossoms are ripening and turning yellow. This morning we just noticed a pair of tomatoes and peppers.While the melon is growing in height and the remaining leaves of the basil are getting bigger.
We have strawberries too. These ones show a slower growth because of the high pH of the calcareous water from our reservoir. Gradually we’ll get the pH at the correct levels.
But for the moment we take care of providing support structures to the plants while they grow. As well as pruning the plants and so guarantee an uniform exposure of all the veggies to sunlight.
Another daily activity of management of an aquaponic system consists of removing the rotting leaves.
Today I also found a dead female of Turkish crayfish under the growbed. Its carapace was soft and that means it was molting. This is a really acute stage of the life cycle of the crustaceans during which the morality rate increase. Not all of them survive it. This is one of the risks every crustacean breeder are aware of.
I want to conclude the report of this day with the picture of the Genovese pesto I made yesterday night and that I mentioned in the previous blog post.